How to Send an SOS
In the case where you need to get in contact with emergency services, you can use the SOS feature. This service is available world wide.
SOS on the Bivy APP (recommended)
- Click SOS on the Menu screen. (Don't worry, there are many warnings to make sure you do not accidentally activate an SOS call.)
- To confirm the SOS, you have to type the letters S O S and push send. You will be prompted to type a short message to better describe your needs.
- Once you have confirmed, it will send an emergency text with your GPS coordinates and location to Global Rescue.
- Your message will be sent to Global Rescue, a global emergency service dispatcher. A new message thread will be created in the Message screen. You can continue to communicate with Global Rescue and see the status of your messages.
- If you need to cancel the SOS call, you can do so by touching the cancel SOS button on the app. This will send a message to Global Rescue and they will confirm it has been received and cancelled.
SOS using the Bivy Stick
The SOS button is located under the red flap on the bottom of the device. To activate, lift the flap and press and hold the button for 5 seconds.
- Once the SOS is activated, the status light will begin to flash red and an emergency message will be sent to Global Rescue, along with your location, at regular intervals. (It will also flash yellow initially letting you know that a message is queued up to be sent.)
- To cancel an SOS from the Bivy Stick, press and hold the SOS button for 5 seconds. Once the red light stops flashing, the SOS has been cancelled.
- Whenever an SOS has been initiated via the device, rest assured search & rescue will be dispatched to your location.
When possible, it's better to activate an SOS through the Bivy app so you can communicate directly with Global Rescue about the nature of your emergency.
What happens when you initiate and SOS
The Bivy Stick will send your location once per minute for 10 minutes, then every ten minutes until the rescue is cancelled. The message goes to Global Rescue and they will dispatch appropriate party. Communicate with Global Rescue and follow their instructions.
NOTE: Please be sure to treat the SOS service with complete seriousness. Only use in the case of a real emergency. Depending on your location and needs, you may be responsible for any cost associated with a rescue operation.